Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do I change the thermostat in a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup truck?

I removed the thermostat housing, but do not know how to disassemble the housing to get to the thermostat.How do I change the thermostat in a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup truck?
housing? I have a 1999 s10 and there is no housing. it take 2 10 mm bolts being removed ant the thermostat is free. make sure you note what direction the therm is comming out. if you put it back in backwards you will blow a head.How do I change the thermostat in a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup truck?
Go to an auto parts store and buy a Chilton or Haynes manual for your model and year vehicle it's really worth the money.
The thermostat is round and has a spring on it, pull it out. Make sure you clean off all the old gasket so the new one will seal well.

You can go online at www.autozone.com to look at an online manual. It is free, just enter your make model and engine size and a manual will appear.
I assume you have the 4.3 liter vortec V6 engine. If you have removed the housing all you have to do is pull the thermostat and gasket off and take note of how the thermostat faces up and down. You want to carefully clean the gasket surface and I recommend you use a FelPro replacement gasket. They have one that is made out of metal and silicone and it is the best gasket on the market. I know Auto Zone sells them. You can go to the Felpro website and look up the part number for you particular vehicle. They do not require and gasket cement and can be used more than once. I have one on my 1989 Chevy Astro van and it is the only brand I will use from now on.
autozone.com has free repair manual's

No comments:

Post a Comment